Thursday, July 05, 2007

Family Portraits

Family Portraits

Mothers of my blood
I am leaving you
Soldiers of my flesh
I cannot stand beside you
Children of my line
I cannot make you exist
Sisters of my past
I am not one of you
Fathers of my history
I cannot become like you
Although my eyes are your clear and icy blue
I don't know if you'll let me be a part of you

I will hold that I'm not lying
I am still a page in the story
Could I let you see me crying?
Do you know, mothers,
How afraid I am of dying?
Can you see, fathers,
How far I am from flying?

Mothers
I am still your child
Soldiers
My heart still bleeds for you
Children
Forgive me
Sisters
We are still connected
Fathers
I still look up to you
For my eyes are your clear and icy blue
And I pray that I am a part of you

I will hold that I'm not lying
I am still a page in the story
Could I let you see me crying?
Do you know, mothers,
How afraid I am of dying?
Can you see, fathers,
How far I am from flying?

I'm written in the same handwriting
I am just another page in the story
Would you protect me from the lightning
Can you see, soldiers,
How hard I am fighting?
Can you see, sisters
The wrongs that I am righting?

For my eyes are your clear and icy blue
I am still a part of you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home